Yes I'm working another night shift. It's been crazy but they are making me take a break so I came to the communications tent to check my email. I have two trauma patients. One is a pelvic fracture who has internal bleeding. We didn't have her blood type but luckily the military sent us some or else she'd die. The other is a 14 yr old with closed head injury from motorcycle accident. He's pretty bad and once again we don't have all the equipment that we need to really monitor his intracranial pressures. But I really love working here. I've already looked into coming back and Garlan could even come with me and work in the Logistics Tent since he has communication and business background. That would be cool but we'll see. It's hard and I'm really tired but at least I feel like I'm making a difference with everything I do and everywhere I go during this trip.
I did get to sit and hold/feed premies in the NICU while they coded a little baby. The highlight on my night for sure! I'm still trying to think of a way to tuck one under my shirt and get it on the plane and then off again. hmmmm. any suggestions? They are sooo precious!
Oh there was this young girl brought in with third degree burns down the right side of her body that happened 8 days ago. Her mom had put black bean paste and calamine lotion on all of it. I have pictures and it is horrible! They debrided her in the OR and she's in the NICU/PICU. I've had to go over twice to help them work on her.
Mom - The boys look great and emotionally seem very happy. Gertrude has several organizations that send people to come help and play with the kids. She said this last month they constantly have people showing up and helping. Like I said, they seem almost untouched by all this destruction. It's a major blessing. Jameson kept saying "What is your name" in the cutest accent and then would start laughing. That's about the extent of his English but it's still cute. Edson just hung on to me the whole time. They LOVED the pictures I gave them. I should have brought more of the family. I did have my camera and went through old pictures on it with them and kept making them call you guys mom and dad. They would giggle after it and kept excited. Michael looks great too. He seems to be about 3 and healthy. He was Kirsti's little buddy both days she was there. The only sad thing was that Wilson another boy their age kept asking me to adopt him and his baby sister. It broke my heart so I had the translator tell him I'll try.
well I better get back. Love you guys tons!
Mandi
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Reading about your days is a highlight to my day. I can't believe all the stuff that is going on and you guys are doing. You are stronger than me I don't think I could handle it. You're amazing!
ReplyDelete