Monday, March 15, 2010

Crazy Clinic Day 1

Hey Everyone!
Today was my first day in our "tent clinic". It's a tent clinic because our two story clinic and pharmacy was destroyed in the earthquake. It was quite the experience. We saw less handicap and rehab patients and more general sickness. Actually we saw lots of what I call "earthquake sickness". And this is what I mean by that - they are people who can't sleep, can't eat, have nightmares, post traumatic stress to the max, indigestion problems and anxiety on top of any wounds or real sicknesses. It's so VERY sad. They all have a story and each story pulls at you emotionally as they describe seeing people die, pulling bodies out of rubble and sleeping on the ground. Like I said before - it makes all of this so much more real and even then I can't complete comprehend what they are dealing with inside. Our social workers are constantly working with and talking to people. Interestingly enough, the most common thing asked for are lap tops. They feel if they can have the connection to the world they will be able to get out. They have lost all faith and trust in their government and most seem to feel that there is no real future for Haiti. I keep using the word "sad" but it's because I can't find the right words to describe how this all makes you feel.

Richard just asked me if I was having fun. "Fun" isn't quite the right word but I am so glad I came despite everything else I feel. There are still small moments of hope and happiness. The children are probably the most resiliant and full of energy. They have none of the sadness in their eyes. But they are constantly asking for food - they've even learned the word "hungry" in English. We have to be very careful what we give out because there will literally be hundreds from the homes around the clinic. It's frustrating but it makes sense.

Once again I feel lots of gratitude for my life, my blessings and the country I live in! Even though many of you have seen poverty I hope you can each take a moment to thank Heavenly Father for what you do have - because we are truly blessed. The difference between the member's attitude and other Haitians is the Gospel. It is so obvious to anyone who interacts with both groups. What a testimony that the Savior truly is The Master Healer.

I love you all! I'm off to do a night shift at the University of Miami Tent Hospital :)
Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I can't even imagine keeping myself together to do what I would need to do. You are so great for going down there and helping the people out. Keep us updated I love reading about your experiences:)

    ReplyDelete