Hey Everyone,
Sorry for the generic email but time and internet power is precious in Haiti.
We arrived yesterday after a long night on the ground in the Fort Lauderdale airport. The moment we touched the ground I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed with emotion. And neither could most of the Haitians sitting around me. One woman broke out in tears and some kind of song. At first I couldn't see any destruction - just a lot of military and commercial planes, helicopters and trucks. It took the normal 2 hours to find all our bags, make it through customs and load up the vans. The fist mile driving back it was hard to distinguish what buildings were damaged from the earthquake and what was just normal Haitian buildings. But it didn't take long to see the real damage and the people that were suffering from it. Buildings were leaning, crumbled to the ground or completely flattened. There are "city tents" after "city tents". I can't imagine the misery that will set in once the rainy season really begins.
When I first heard and saw the earthquake on the news my heart hurt for these people - but actually being here is different. Before, it was just what I saw on TV that affected me. Here all 5 senses are consumed with the devastation and destruction that has taken place. Those that came a month ago say the smell is a lot better - I can't even imagine what it was like. But despite all the heartache I do see and feel some Hope in these people. It is evident by the piles of rubble and garbage that have been put together. These people are starting to clean up their lives and this country - though it looks like it may take years before it's all done.
It was so good to see my friends at the guesthouse. Jon - our handy-man gave me the biggest hug and told me how he jumped out of his school building 6 stories high and was one of only a couple that survived. His leg is much better and I couldn't help but cry as I heard how each survived that horrible day.
After unpacking we walked around the compound. Most of the buildings are flattened and our pool is full of rubble from the building above that fell and killed 2 people. Once again the word to describe all this is great sadness. But luckily Healing Hands will survive and rebuild and then continue to help a nation of people.
The kids of the neighboring areas come on our grounds below and I ended up cleaning and fixing 15 wounds on their little bodies. Most just wanted a vitamin and a bandaid but a couple of them were quite infected without much protection over their wounds. It was the best part of my day for sure! All that sadness turned into the feeling I get when I help other people. There is nothing like the Love of the Savior to truly heal the broken hearted. I pray for my friends in Haiti. I pray they will continue to have faith in God, faith in themselves and faith in their country!
Until I can write again! I love you all :)
Mandi
Sunday, March 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment