Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Final Day

Well today is my last full day in Haiti. Once again, I can't believe how fast the time has gone by. In some ways it's a good thing because it doesn't give you much time think about all that you have seen throughout the day. On the other hand it means you have to leave that much quicker. As always I struggle when I reach the "night before departure". I'm conflicted inside with the strong desire to stay and really do some good and the desire to go home to the ones I love (especially you Garlan!) and rest a little.

This trip has been by far the most exhausting of them all! Even though it has been difficult to maintain emotional and physical stamina, I feel like the Lord has blessed me to go above and beyond what I thought I was capable of doing. We did go to the beach for part of the day yesterday so everyone could rest a little. But instead of the usual Sunday rest day we all went back to work at the various hospitals here. Instead of the Miami Hospital I went to one called CDTI (not sure what it stands for). It actually used to be a hospital and the building is still standing but the people are too afraid to go inside so they have set about 11 large tents up outside for inpatient care and then they have a physical therapy area and ER area where I worked most of the day. They do use the building's xray and CT rooms (one of the only CT machines in Haiti) and then they do surgery inside. Although I've heard that many patients have refused surgery because they refuse to go inside. Can you imagine how much they are suffering psychologically to forgo surgery because you are too afraid of another earthquake?!? I'm not sure at what point they will overcome that fear and start to come inside. Many think that once the rainy season begins we'll see more people letting go of that fear just enough to live inside. But they truly feel sheer terror! Last night we had a little quake - enough that my bed shook but not big enough that everyone felt it. The interpreters today were talking about it and were just amazed that we stayed inside and weren't afraid. I'm trying to find the words to explain what I'm seeing and feeling but I don't think there are any that do it justice. I took care of a lady today that fell yesterday and her grandson carried her all the way to the hospital to be seen. Oh the many tender mercies of service that I have seen this past week!

Well before I sign off I just want to thank all of you for your prayers and support! I'm so full of gratitude for my life and the people in it! Not to get all preachy but if you have read my emails I hope you can take this one thing - take time to be grateful for what you have and take time to share that gratitude by giving service to those around you. You don't have to travel half way across the world to do it. There are people within our reach at home who need to feel love. Thank you for showing me so much love! I have the best family in the world and parents who have taught me the true meaning of Christlike love - charity. I love you all and I'll see some of you very soon!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Garlan for posting Amanda's messages. Amanda, it has been nice to follow your time there. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into that horror.

    ReplyDelete