Thursday, March 29, 2012

Emma's Story (from Mommy)

From the very beginning I planned on baby Emma coming early. Not because I had any kind of inspiration that she would, I'm just a freak when it comes to being prepared and so if I planned on her being early then I would be ready. Well that kind of thinking definitely paid off!

I got up about 6:10 am on March 22, 2012 to get ready for work. Went potty, put on my scrubs and did my hair and makeup. As I sat on the side of the tub to bend over to tie my shoes I felt a nice warm and wet feeling between my legs. My first thought was, "did I just pee my pants cause I just emptied my bladder?" I went back to the toilet to see if maybe my bladder needed to be emptied more. It didn't but there was a little more fluid of some sort leaking out. Once it stopped I changed into different scrubs and again went to tie my shoes when the whole scenario above repeated itself. Now I was really confused because if it was my water it wasn't gushing like it did in the movies. I woke up Garlan to tell him that I think my water broke or I keep peeing my pants. In his half awake state he asked what it looked like and if I needed him to come look at it. Knowing that something wasn't right and that I was going to be late for work I called to tell them that I thought my water broke and they needed to get another nurse to come in until I got checked. I wasn't having any type of major contractions - although braxton hicks has been a part of my daily life for several months. I'd sneeze and have a contraction. I asked Garlan to load up the car with all my packed bags while he stayed behind since I'd be heading up to my floor to work if it wasn't my water. Because I was still slowly leaking I rolled up a towel and put it between my legs, called OB and told them I was coming and then headed to Mt. View Hospital.

By the time I got to the hospital, checked in and they put me in a bed to be checked my towel was soaked. At this point I was pretty sure and excited that it was my water that had broken and not just an inability to control my bladder. The nurses were fantastic from the start, despite being crazy busy and right in the middle of shift change. As a fellow nurse I felt terrible to come at the most inconvenient time known to a nurse - shift change! They swabbed my fluid and got an immediate positive sign that it was amniotic in nature. Even though it was a crazy busy day it was the best day for my doctor since Thursdays are when he does all his inductions and surgeries. Because of that, he was already on the floor and came immediately into my room to check me (the Friday before in his office I was dialated to a one, 50% effaced and 2+). This time I was still a one, 75% effaced and her head was about a 1+. He said to start the pitocin and that I could have an epidural whenever I wanted. As soon as he left I called Garlan and told him he was going to be a daddy within the next 24 hours!

They moved me to a labor room, started my IV and got the pit going around 9 am. Within 20 minutes I started to feel contractions that were a lot stronger than my braxton hicks friends. The belly pain didn't bother me as much as the lower back pain. It felt like a knife digging in my back every couple minutes. So by 11:30 am I got my epidural and lower back relief. At this point I was a 3, 75% and still a 1+. An hour later I was 4, 80% and her head was at a 0. Garlan and I tried to nap but we were both too excited. At 2:15 pm I was a 6 and 100%.

I was progressing nicely but we still planned on laboring for several more hours. About 25 minutes later I was feeling more pressure in my belly and noticed her heart rate drop and stay down with each contraction. My nurse came in before I could call her. She quickly checked me and found I was complete! I asked if I could rest and descend for awhile but she said with the head right there Dr Nance probably wouldn't let me. They set up the room within a few minutes just as Dr, Nance arrived. I remember thinking "I can't believe this is it!" Garlan also seemed a bit taken aback at how quick everything was happening. Next thing I know it was time to push. Now I had been warned how hard and exhausting it could be and they were right! About 15-20 minutes into pushing Emma's heart rate would drop. I quickly picked up on the uncomfortable eye exchanges. I asked how serious it was and Dr Nance said if she didn't come soon he'd get the forceps. He gave me an episiotomy and then her heart rate stopped dropping.

Within a few minutes, at 3:43 pm, her head was out and then the rest of her body. I had wanted skin to skin right away but she was dusky enough doctor wanted a little oxygen on her first. Come to find out the cord was wrapped around her neck twice which explained why her heart rate would drop when I'd push. So grateful that there were no other complications. For me that turned out better because I got to sit there and watch Garlan with her. It was the more tender thing to watch the man you love bond with this little miracle that you love. It only took a few minutes with oxygen for her to pink right up. They cleaned and weighed her and then Garlan got to bring her to me. I've never felt so much love and joy as I did holding her with Garlan by my side. In some ways I wish I could relive that moment over and over again.

With a little work we got her to latch and drink for a little bit. Then we got to just love on her for awhile! It was hard to let them take her to the nursery but I was so exhausted I didn't put up a fight. Then Garlan went to help bathe her and bring her back. I tried to eat a little during that time but as hungry as I was, nothing sounded or tasted very good. I just wanted to sit and reflect quietly on my feelings.

My brother Spencer, Aunt Julie and cousins Jessie and Liz arrived later to see us and baby Emma. To say Garlan and I are proud parents is a big understatement! In a way we want to just show her off to everyone we know and meet.

Around 9 o'clock that night my epidural wore off enough to let me get up to go to the bathroom and then move us to another room. The next two days we spent just loving each other and our baby. I would give her up for a few hours at night to get a little sleep but most of the time I just laid there thinking about her and how much I love her and how blessed I felt. The nurses were amazing, which is why I wanted to deliver at my hospital. The floor was busy all weekend but we never once felt it from them. Each one helped to teach and support us in the way we needed. Out of privacy and respect for them I won't name names but my heart is so full of gratitude that they made this very special and sacred experience so wonderful.






Now Emma is a week old and we are both learning, discovering and recovering. I had 3 stitches that has made sitting down a little uncomfortable and I got a blood blister on one side from nursing, but luckily a shield is helping it heal quickly. I can't say I've gotten a ton of sleep but it's definitely the best kind of sleep deprivation! My mom has been a big help and support. Emma loves to be held and cuddled, which luckily her daddy, mommy and grandma love to oblige. There are moments that I look at her and she takes my breath away. My thoughts can't help but turn to how much our Father in Heaven loves us and how important The Plan of Salvation is to all of us. How grateful I am to have such an amazing husband and father. I can't wait to continue to raise a family with him for eternity!

5 comments:

  1. Your new baby is darling, congratulations, Cant wait to see more pictures of her. Tell you mom I said Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is so cute! i need to come down and see her!! I love that you wrote that all out. and you look A LOT like meech in the last pic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love birth stories! She is so beautiful and you look so great in all those pictures with make up on and everything, sheesh! So glad she is here safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful story! makes me want a newborn! ha!! so glad things are going well! love you and congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!! She is beautiful. They don't stay that little for very long so enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete