Friday, May 27, 2011

The Newest CCRN!

For months I've been studying for what ICU nurses will call "the hardest test of my life" - the CCRN (Critical Care Registered Nurse). Once you've logged in a couple years worth of ICU work hours you qualify to take this test. In most hospitals it gives you a substantial pay raise or a bonus as well as a lot more respect and some fancy letters to put behind your title. Basically it's the national board certification for ICU nurses. I really should have taken it two years ago but then I moved to Cali and got distracted. Last year I got married and got distracted again. This year - no excuse, it was time to buckle down and study. For the last couple months poor Garlan has only had half a wife while I've been studying and at times stressing over this test.

But his wife is back! On Tuesday I took the test and passed (insert big sigh of relief and smile here). When I came out of the test and the guy handed me my paper that said "Congratulations" I almost hugged and kissed him! I actually scored high in all the sections except Ethics and Nursing Practices (I got 76% in that section). Garlan came home and looked at the paper and said, "Well it looks like you are really smart but not very ethical". haha. To be honest, I loved studying for the test. I learned so much and at times I longed to be back in school to improve my knowledge base.

I have to thank my wonderful husband for being so supportive and helping to keep me calm the last couple of days before the test. He gave me the most beautiful blessing the night before that brought so much peace and comfort. He even brought home a beautiful bouquet of flowers! I just love him.I also had great support for my two dear friends and neighbors. Lindsey made us dinner the night before and Laurel brought over Congrats Cupcakes with the most delicious cream cheese frosting. All of that meant so much to me and reminded me why friends are so important.

Tuesday night I celebrated with a Girl's Night Out! There are 6 of us that get together as often as possible for GNO. Though we all lead separate lives we have made a pack to always stay close and make time for each other.Ashley, Kirsti, Kim, Corinne, Me, Lucy

2 comments:

  1. way to go! Congrats that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, that is awesome! Doesn't that mean you need to celebrate at Disneyland?

    ReplyDelete