Sunday, June 16, 2019

Emma's hernia repair

Emma had her umbilical hernia repair this week. We have been watching it since she was born and it never fully closed up. By her age if it is still there it won't go away and she has a great risk for it to develop into a larger hernia as she gets older.

Originally our pediatrician sent us to a new peds surgeon at Timp hospital. I liked him and scheduled the surgery. The day we showed up for the surgery they handed me our estimated portion (they didn't call the night before like they should have done) and it was about 5 times more than I expected. I was shocked and asked the receptionist to pull up a itemized billing list to see why the surgery fee was so high. Our portion was 4K which meant this 15-30 min surgery was costing close to 20K. Ridiculous. So I stepped out of the waiting area and called Garlan and my mom and one of the surgeon's that I work with to get their thoughts. Dr Hill didn't answer but mom and Garlan agreed with me to wait until we were sure there wasn't a better price option somewhere else. Five minutes later Dr Hill walked out of the building (he is hardly ever at Timp)! Shocked again I told him I had just tried calling him and why. He quickly put my mind at ease. He said he'd be happy to do the surgery with no cost to us because I was such a fantastic nurse to his patients. haha. He also suggested we do it at the surgical center because would be much cheaper. And it was! Our portion there was around $425!

So in the end I felt like God provided a little/big medical and financial answer to my prayers in that waiting room. Emma did great and Dr Hill was awesome to us and to her.  I am grateful to a God that answers small and big prayers quickly and slowly for our benefit.




No comments:

Post a Comment