Sunday, July 8, 2018

Celebrating the Life of Grandpa Hadley

This post is bitter-sweet to write. This past week we lost my grandpa Keith at the age of 94. A couple weeks ago he had another small heart attack and was in the hospital for 10 days. Since then he has been quickly declining. So much so that on Tuesday my grandpa and grandma asked if I would fly up to Washington the next morning to come and help take care of him. We were planning on heading up there the next week for their 65th and a family reunion. We quickly changed our plans and I bought a ticket and headed home. I'm blessed to have a supportive husband and friends that so quickly help out in times of need!
I got there Wednesday and he was weak and on his CPAP. I could tell right off that his CHF was getting worse and he wasn't going to recover. My aunt had flown in from Michigan the day before and we decided to tell everyone that it was better to come sooner than later. I will forever cherish those last few days with him. His mind was sharp and he was so loving and grateful to have me there. He complimented me repeatedly on how talented I was and what a beautiful family I had. My grandma rarely left his side. It was tender to watch them together. He was always more anxious when she was gone - which is what you would expect after 65 years together.
Friday morning Garlan got there with our girls (he drove through the night). We took them to the park for about an hour so my Grandparents could rest. Grandpa had had a rough night and wasn't doing well.
After playing on the play ground, feeding the ducks and walking around the aviary we headed back. We pulled into the driveway and my aunt called saying something had happened and come fast. I ran into the house and found him unresponsive and not breathing very well. I knew he had another heart attack of some kind and that he might not make it for everyone to get there later that day. I put extra oxygen on him and we made phone calls to everyone telling them he might not rally. My parents jumped in the car and headed over and I prayed that at least my dad would get there in time. Grandpa then started to wake up more and was able to talk some. Everyone started to facetime so they could say their goodbyes. This seemed to rally him even more. My parents arrived and by some miracle he was still alive when everyone else got there by that night. One by one people took turns talking to him and loving him. He was barely awake and struggling to breath. He wanted to die and I couldn't blame him.
We had talked to his doctor earlier in the day and she had ordered hospice. They came that afternoon and left meds and instructions with us. After the family had time with him the men joined together and Richard gave him a beautiful priesthood blessing full love, peace and release. At that time I started him on morphine for comfort care. He lingered until the next day and then past away on Saturday, June 30th at 3:12pm with my dad, aunt and grandma in the room. After he passed we cleaned and changed him. Grandma found his temple clothes that they were married in and my dad, aunt, cousin and I dressed him before the mortuary arrived. He looked peaceful when we were done and that helped my grandma.
I miss him dearly but I know he is in a better place. I am grateful for my knowledge of eternal families and look forward to being with him and the rest of my family forever. It definitely takes some of the sting out of death and replaces it with hope and peace.
Our family decided to keep their plans to go to camping at Wallawa Lake before returning for our Hadley family reunion and then Grandpa's Celebration of Life and the Celebration of their 65th. It was good to get away and give my grandma some time to grieve with my aunt and start making funeral arrangements. I also think it was good for my Dad to be surrounded by all of us and his grand kids.









We came back to Walla Walla the night of the 4th of July. We got checked into the hotel and then let the kids swim while we enjoyed visiting with our cousins from Michigan. We watched fireworks that night with my Grandma at a park by her house.
Thursday we gathered at a different park and enjoyed games, food and more swimming. My great aunt Nola and some of her family arrived too. That night my siblings and I went over so my grandma could give us a few things of grandpa's and visit with other extended family members.
Friday we set up for the Celebration of Life and their 65th and then gathered for family pictures. It was a beautiful service and just what my grandpa would have wanted. My dad conducted, Aunt T played the piano and Courtney sang a beautiful song, people shared thoughts/memories and then the great grandkids sang I Am a Child of God. Afterwards we served cake and visited with extended family and friends.







After the services our family headed back to my parent's house. Saturday we relaxed, the guys went shooting and then we all went boating. The grand kids LOVED it and Emma kept saying "this is the best day of my life" while on the tube. It was sad to leave Sunday!









No comments:

Post a Comment