Bella woke up to eat around 5am on Thursday (the 14th) to eat and was burning up! I took her temp. and it was 102.9. I stripped her down and checked her body for rashes and her mouth for redness. I couldn't see anything so I gave her Tylenol to see if her fever would come down. She fell back to sleep so I just kept checking on her to see if it had broken. By 8am it had only come down to 101.4. I called her doctor and he wanted to see her immediately. Natalie took my girls and I headed to his office. He ran several tests and found that she had a nasty UTI. Her WBC was 27,000 and her CRP was 32. After seeing her lab work he decided to admit her to the pediatric unit at my hospital - it was about 11am at this point. I was a bit overwhelmed but felt a lot of peace knowing she was in good hands with the nursing staff and Dr. Miller. It had been so hard to watch poor Bella get stuck time and time again
for blood cultures, labs and then an IV. She hated it but overall was a
champ.
My parents had gotten into town (huge blessing!) the night before for Jessie's wedding so they came from Michelle's right away to get my other girls and then later came to the hospital to see Bella. Garlan finished his work deadlines and then came to the hospital around 5pm to give me a break for a few hours so I could go to Jessie's wedding dinner. I stayed with her at night and that first night was rough - she kept spiking fevers and only wanted me to hold her and nurse her. I think I got about 3 hours of sleep.
Friday was the first day of the McCoy family reunion (see next post for pics and info). Amberli and Darek were staying at our house so Amberli came to the hospital mid-morning to rock Bella so I could take a nap. Then my mom came so we could go to the reunion dinner up at my in-laws. Because Bella's CRP had climbed to 58 and she had had a fever in the early morning hours Dr. Miller wanted to keep her longer. He wanted to make sure her blood cultures didn't grow out anything and to see what grew out in her urine. Again I was thankful how overly cautious he approached the situation. Friday night was a little better - I went in another room to sleep and got about 5 hrs. broken up.
Saturday she had been fever free for 24 hrs which was positive. Her IV went bad but she was eating great and staying hydrated so he switched her to IM injections. She was a great baby the entire time but you could tell she loved having that IV out. Garlan brought Emma and Sophie mid-morning to see her. Emma had been extra sad and very worried about Bella. I took the girls to meet up with the McCoy's at the rec center and G stayed and had quiet time with Bella. My mom came and switched him mid-afternoon so he could join us too. I went back to the hospital around 6pm and by then the blood cultures had come back negative and her urine grew out echoli and was sensitive to most oral antibiotics. Thankfully Dr. Miller agreed to let her go home that night instead of Sunday morning.
I had to take her into the clinic on Sunday and Monday for IM injections of Rocephin and then he switched her to an oral antibiotic.
Today (Tuesday the 26th) we did a follow up ultrasound of her kidneys to make sure there wasn't anything else going on. Thankfully it came back normal. Now we wait to see if she gets more infections. If she does he will order a cystogram for more in depth testing. We are all praying it doesn't come to that and it was a one time infection.
This last picture was her after we got home. She was so happy she could bend her arms without the iv and all the wires attached to her!








No comments:
Post a Comment