This year we decided not to go anywhere for Thanksgiving. The girls are a little difficult to take on long road trips so we will only venture out at Christmas. Instead we wanted to spend time with my Grandparents and local aunts and uncles. It turned out to be a good thing we stayed in Utah because my Grandpa ended up in the hospital all week and for a few days was very sick. So I spent most of my time with him and helping my family understand all the medical issues. For the actual Thanksgiving meal the Boyle family (my mom's sister) came over and we feasted on way too much food while taking turns at the hospital. Emma had a blast with all her cousins and even ran around the hospital and made lots of friends with the nurses and other staff members.
One cool thing that happened was that I got to meet Elder Holland - twice. Apparently his wife has been sick and in the hospital for awhile and he was there each day visiting her. The first encounter was the night my Grandpa was admitted. Garlan and I had seen him walk by but figured he was going to visit and give a blessing. About 15 min later I was waiting with Sophie (G was off chasing Emma as usual) outside of the OR when he came walking by. He shook my hand, said hello and then touched Sophie's arm and said "hey button, you are sure a cute girl." Then he was off, heading down the hall and I was left a little star struck. I told my Grandpa about it the next day and he told me a couple Elder Holland stories from back in the day. I hadn't realized they knew each other so well when my Grandpa was a stake president. I told Grandpa if I saw him again I would tell him hello from Bob Clyde. Then about an hour later I was in the cafeteria getting Emma her french fries when I ran into him again. He was waiting for his food and that's when I overheard him talking to a doctor about his wife being sick and in the hospital for so long. As I got close to him I said hello and this time had more nerves to talk longer. I told him who I was and that my Grandpa was Robert Clyde. He gushed over how much he loved Bob Clyde and specifically called him a "special soul". He again commented on Sophie's cuteness and asked if she was a Clyde and I said technically a McCoy but with Clyde blood. He said "that's great blood to have". Part of me wanted to ask to take a picture but I didn't feel is was the appropriate setting. It was still a special experience to shake hands and talk with an apostle of God.
Grandpa is doing much better and is home. I don't know how many years I have left with my 4 grandparents but I'm sure grateful for every day they are around! Here is the only picture I took that week - tells you how distracted and tired I must have been.

that is so neat and glad your grandpa is doing better. how sad his wife has been sick so long, shows how little we know about the problems of apostles. and how neat all four grandparents are living! mine are all angels!
ReplyDelete