Sunday, January 12, 2014

Coming Unto Christ

It's been a year since we lost sweet Carson and though there has been a lot of healing we still miss him. We also had a scare with Grandpa Clyde this week - he had a bad inferior MI and open heart surgery on Tuesday. It was scary those first couple days but it was also a reminder of how important the Plan of Salvation is and the healing love that comes from the Savior and being surrounded by family. I wanted to share some of the feelings I've had over the past couple weeks knowing that the anniversary of his death was approaching and that it wouldn't be easy for my family. (I actually already emailed the following to my family last week) Hello my wonderful family. I've been praying a lot lately for ways to not only find personal comfort but also to share that comfort with each of you. I especially have had mom and dad on my mind a lot. This year has been full of ups and downs and it's obvious the downs have affected all of us. Yesterday at church I was filled with answers to my prayers and wanted to share them with you. In gospel doctrine we were studying Moses 1 (as I'm sure most of you did too). Our class lesson and discussion had a powerful effect on Garlan and me. In the beginning of that chapter Moses sees and talks with God which of course was an amazing experience, one that few people/prophets have had or will have. But right after this huge spiritual experience Satan appears and begins tempting Moses. It stood out to me that Moses noticed 3 things: 1. the difference between the light (or glory) of God and the darkness of Satan (vs 14-15) 2. He is a Son of God and NOT a Son of Man as Satan tries to tell him (vs 13) 3. That he can judge between what is from God and what is from Satan (vs 18) These truths were very important for Moses to realize but they also apply to each of us. It's also important that we are consistently having spiritual experiences so when we are tempted by Satan we can tell the difference between the light and dark, that we are sons/daughters of God and then can judge what is from God and what is from Satan. Moses then tells Satan to leave - Satan shows his true colors and begins to rant and rave (vs 19). Then Moses starts to fear. I've been studying fear vs faith and it's very apparent that the two can't coincide. So at this point, full of fear Moses makes the decision to turn away from the fear and towards the Lord (his faith) and he is strengthened (vs 20-21). A sister in my ward made a beautiful comment/analogy at this point in the lesson. She is wheelchair bound and has 9 children - 6 boys that have all decided at different times they didn't need the church, so she is acquainted with grief. She said that this is what she calls a 4th Watch Experience. (the 4th watch as we know is that last watch before the dawn) Here Moses has been hounded by Satan to the point of exhaustion and fear and has to decided where to turn to find strength. Many of us (especially mom and dad) are feeling that 4th Watch exhaustion, hopelessness, fear, frustration and sorrow. But just as Moses turned to the Lord for strength so must we! We too can command Satan and all his temptations and dark feelings to "Get Thee Hence" and make it to dawn - a new day full of light, love and the Lord's atoning grace. God's glory (Moses 1:39) is already brought to pass through the Savior - we are immortal and can have the opportunity of Eternal Life. BUT our work is different.....D&C:11:20 tell us that our work and glory is to keep the commandments - all of them, not just the ones that are convenient. I made the comment that all too often in the world and the church we want to bend or mold the commandments to fit our lives when it's the other way around - we bend or mold our lives to fit the commandments. Following this wonderful lesson I went to RS to have more spiritual answers. Our theme for RS this year is Come Unto Christ (Moroni 10:32). The invitation is to all but to truly Come unto Christ we must constantly be denying ourselves of ALL ungodliness (aka keep the commandments) and love God with all our might, mind and strength - which of course if we really do love him then we'll obey and serve him. Only then do feel and have His grace. Like we know, grace alone can't save us nor can just our actions. We need to act and we need His grace. I couldn't help but think how this scripture links with Matt 11:28-30. Between both these scriptures the invitation to Come unto Christ is extended. Moroni seems to focus on keeping the commandments and repentance (because all of us are natural men and sin) but the Savior in Matthew focuses on all that are heavy laden - with anything, not just sin. So basically when we Come unto Christ and yoke ourselves to Him our burdens (whatever they may be) will be lightened, not always taken away. We can't take away this last year or what is currently hurting our hearts in the family but I truly believe that as we are consistently (not just occasionally) coming unto Christ and having/seeking spiritual experiences we will be strengthened by and through His atoning Grace. My challenge this week is to focus solely on the Savior. We read The Living Christ in RS and it filled my soul. I challenge each of you to read it over and over and then fast, pray and even go to the temple to feel His love. I know it won't take away the sorrow of losing Carson but I believe that the pain will be less and the burden will be made light. We'll be full of hope and faith and that will overshadow the fear. Maybe this is too wordy for everyone but as I was praying about all of this I had the distinct impression to share this with all of you - honestly I felt like it was more of a message from Carson. He knows how hard this weekend will be but he doesn't want us to wallow and just think of the bad, he wants us to feel that beautiful glory of God. It was a very special and sacred experience, one I'm not sharing lightly. I love you all and hope we can continue to love and strengthen each other and work towards our glory as an eternal family! Mandi

1 comment: