Friday, September 21, 2012

It's only a game.....or is it?

For as long as I can remember I have watched and cheered on my siblings as they have played football, basketball, tennis, track, soccer and cheer. I enjoy being a fan but I love being a fan when it's for one of them. Part of that type of fanhood means feeling a higher high when they win and a deeper sadness when they lose. I've felt both those feelings already this Fall while cheering for Spencer and Matt and our BYU Cougars. I have always bled blue and will till the day I die. I find no shame in admitting I'm a BYU alumni. My college experience was amazing and being on the faculty for the past 6 years has only strengthened my respect and love for this university. But my real passion lies in BYU football. I remember the first game I ever went to as a freshman. I was overwhelmed by the sea of blue and white and the intense 'game day' atmosphere found all over campus and at the stadium. Very few other experiences in life ignites the adrenaline in my body as when I walk into Lavell Edwards Stadium. I know some might laugh at this but that's okay, we all have our own "things" in life, this just happens to be mine. And it certainly doesn't hurt that I have had 3 cousins on the team and 2 brothers. Nothing like family ties to cement your loyalty to a team. Last night the Cougars suffered their second straight loss and I'm still feeling the affects of it this morning (hence writing out my feelings in the post). Some say (including me at times), "it's only a game". But is it? Okay the most logical and realistic answer would be "yes" because there is life before and after football. But as I have watched my brothers pour so much of themselves into this game I have come to realize that for this stage of their lives, it is more than just a game. For both Spencer and Matt it is their ticket through college and maybe/hopefully something after their college career. I love and admire them for the passion and heart that they put into this sport. I see the same attributes on and off they field. They work hard, they are loyal and they are incredible strong physically, mentally and spiritually. Thank you Spencer and Matt for giving me something to get extremely excited about and even extremely sad about. I love you both! Rise and shout, my cougars are out!

No comments:

Post a Comment