
This last weekend we celebrated our one year anniversary (April 22)! Both of us feel like it has just flown by so quickly. In some ways it feels like we just got married last week and in other ways it feels like we have been in each others lives forever. It has been an amazing year, full of new adventures, fun travels, major adjustments, job searching, decision making, moving twice and a whole lot of love, patience and laughter. We can't wait to see what year two brings :)
Early on we decided to take turns with anniversaries. Garlan wanted to plan this first one and he did an amazing job. He got off work early Friday and we headed to Salt Lake with packed overnight bags. He kept his plans a secret for the most part, except he did tell me we'd be staying in Salt Lake overnight so I knew what to pack. We stayed at Little America which is exactly where we stayed our first night! I was secretly hoping he would take me back there. We went to the hotel and dropped our stuff off before heading to dinner. He had ordered some kind of romantic package because they had treats and chocolate waiting for us in our room. Our room had a beautiful view and even though we weren't far from home it felt so wonderful to get away. We exchanged presents. I bought him some new special edition church books that he wanted and he surprised me again with Celine Dion concert tickets this July with my sister-in-laws in Vegas! I was quite speechless (which is very rare)! Celine is one of my favorites and I always regretted not seeing her previous show. Now I can't wait till July!
For dinner he made reservations at Cucina Toscana, my now new favorite Italian restaurant in Salt Lake. A BIG thank you to Bryan and Amber for the gift card. :) We love you both! Dinner was amazing but it wasn't the end of our amazing night. haha. Garlan in all sweetness had bought tickets to a dance production he thought was going to be like Cirque du Soleil. It wasn't at all what he was expecting. It was a modern dance tribute to Alwin Nikolais, some choreographic genius from the 60's and 70's. It was very strange and I struggled seeing how most of it could be called 'dance'. We lasted through the entire production mostly because we were so horrified by what we saw we couldn't turn our eyes away from it. I wish I could paint an accurate picture but words can't describe any of the dances. The costumes were either skin tight, leaving little to the imagination or they were from another planet. The music wasn't really music, just a lot of different noises put together. It seemed to have a psychedelic, alien theme. I will say that the dancers were in great shape, a lot of their movements looked like one of my pilates or yoga workouts.


After our "dance show" experience we headed back to the hotel. We went hot tubing, watched a movie and even ordered in some late night room service. We slept in until after ten, which felt amazing, and then we ate ourselves stupid at the famous Little America buffet breakfast!
Following breakfast we went and did sealings at the Salt Lake Temple. It was the perfect way to remember those special covenants we made to each other and the Lord and to celebrate Easter, the Resurrection of our Savior!
I was quite emotional sitting in the temple together, remembering the feelings I felt the day we got married. Since it was Saturday, it was quite busy with brides and grooms. They said they had 40 weddings scheduled that day. I was very grateful that we had a slow day of only 18 weddings when we got married. As I walked past the bridal room I couldn't help but think about one of my favorite memories of that special day - changing and dressing with just my mom. For the most part I was the only bride while we were there and so my mom and I had this huge, beautiful room to just ourselves. We talked, laughed and cried before and after the sealing. It was one of the most tender moments of my life, one I think of often. My mom has always been my best friend and I was so grateful to have that quiet and sacred time together.

Another favorite memory of our wedding day that Garlan and I both share was when we entered the sealing room together to see if overflowing with friends and family. We will never forget how that made us both feel. It gave us just a small glimpse of what heaven must be like and how we couldn't imagine living for eternity without those that we love and without each other.

One more memory we talked about and cherish was the time in the Celestial Room we had together and then with my Grandpa before we were sealed. Again, it wasn't very busy that day so we were able to sit and feel the Spirit and talk about what was about to take place. I still get goose bumps thinking about all the emotions I had running through my mind and body. It was also extremely special to have my Grandpa Clyde as our sealer. I have always been very close to him and so you could say it was the icing on the cake to have him give us such beautiful and profound counsel and then marry us for time and all eternity.

Garlan ~
I know it took us awhile to find each other but I am more than grateful that it happened. Each day I find another reason to love you more! I thank Heavenly Father every night for giving me you. You are helping to make me a better person. Thank you for being so selfless, kind, loving and patient with me. I can't wait to grow old together!
I love you always and forever :)
Has it really been a year? Happy first anniversary!
ReplyDeleteahhhh...congrats! you guys are so cute and worth the wait I'd say! your sealing was really neat and my kids still talk about what a beautiful bride aunt amanda was!
ReplyDeletenow come visit cali already!