Healing at the Pool of Bethesda.
I guess it makes me think of how much easier it is to heal from the trials of life if we follow the Savior's council. He is always there, waiting for us to let Him into our lives. I watch family and friends (and definitely myself at times) try to heal themselves and it NEVER works. Through personal experience I'm reminded that only with the help of the Savior are we ever truly healed and made into better people. I'm in the profession of healing the sick and nothing I do or see others in the medical profession do will compare to what the Savior does because He is the Master Healer. In thinking about all this I pulled up an old talk that I gave at my College of Nursing Graduation entitled The Master Healer. Here is some excerpts from it since I feel the same way about it now as I did then.During my clinical rotations I have observed four key essentials to the healing process.
First, it can be a very tedious and painful ordeal.
Second, it is a process, and it always takes time for the healing to be complete.
Third, both young and old experience it; no one is immune.
Fourth, healing cannot be done without help or aid from someone or something.
It is this fourth point that I would like to address tonight because I have a firm conviction that there is one ultimate helper or aid available to everyone in this room and throughout the world. He is the Master Healer, and it is His “Art” that we have also been privileged to study over the past two and a half years.
Isaiah writes:
“He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.”
He is Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.
There are endless accounts of Christ healing the physically and spiritually sick throughout the New Testament and the Book of Mormon. And though Christ may not walk amongst us today is power to heal is still present.
In the 11th chapter of Matthew, verses 28-30, He admonishes all to,
“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
We are all subject to suffering, trials and tribulations, disease and even death. But the Master Healer invites us to “Come Unto Him” and He will help to lighten the load.
Elder Jeffery R. Holland has said,
“Come unto him and lay down your burden. Let him lift the load. Let him give peace to your soul.”
Elder Russell M. Nelson recently conveyed in conference the following:
“I express special gratitude to the Lord Jesus Christ. I am thankful for His loving-kindness and for His open invitation to come unto Him. I marvel at His matchless power to heal. I testify of Jesus Christ as the Master Healer.”
I, too, express gratitude for His endless love and atonement that I have constantly watched and felt bless my life and those around me. I have personally come to know His healing power as He has given me strength to wade through difficult challenges and heartaches that have come my way (this nursing program being one of them).
In a revelation given to the Prophet Joseph Smith in Doctrine & Covenants 112:13 the Lord states:
“And after their temptations, and much tribulation, behold, I the Lord, will feel after them, and if they harden not their hearts, and stiffen not their necks against me, they shall be converted, and I will heal them.”
He knows where the pitfalls exist and where the thorns and briars dwell. He is aware of each stumbling block placed in our way. He has faced every temptation and prevailed. He knows the way because He is the way. As Elder Russell M. Nelson has said, “While we know of our mortal problems and pain, He knows of our immortal progress and potential.”
Christ WILL strengthen us in our time of need. And although there may be times when we feel alone, we can have faith that we are not for He will never leave us. He suffered so that He could succor.
Elder David R. Bednar has said,
“The Son of God perfectly knows and understands, for He felt and bore our burdens before we ever did. And because He paid the ultimate price and bore that burden, He has perfect empathy and can extend to us His arm of mercy in so many phases of our life. He can reach out, touch, and succor--literally run to us--and strengthen us to be more than we could ever be and help us to do that which we could never do through relying only upon our own power.”
I would like to close with a poem written by Phillips Brooks in the late 1800’s called - Our Burden Bearer
The little sharp vexations
And the briars that cut the feet,
Why not take all to the Helper
Who has never failed us yet?
Tell him about the heartache,
And tell him the longings too,
Tell Him the baffled purpose
When we scarce know what to do.
Then, leaving all our weakness
With the One divinely strong,
Forget that we bore the burden
And carry away the song.
Jesus Christ is our Burden Bearer, sent to heal our wounds and lighten our loads.
As I leave Brigham Young University I will take many memories and lessons with me that I will forever cherish. But the most powerful truth taught to me, one that is ingrained in me forever is this: whether we are looking to administer help or seeking help ourselves, we all need the Master Healer, even our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In His name, Jesus Christ, amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment