Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Power of Gratitude

Today I had the same lesson given by my Visiting Teachers (who are the greatest) and our Home Teachers (who are also great). Since November is the Conference Talk issue -any talk is free game to teach on so I didn't expect to get the same talk. Some might call it coincidence but I don't. It was exactly what I needed to hear and ponder about today. It was Elder Jeffery R. Holland's talk "Because of Your Faith".

This particular talk wasn't one that might have jumped out to a lot of people. Elder Holland took his allotted time to mainly thank the members of the church and convey his love for them. He stated,
"I have struggled to find an adequate way to tell you how loved of God you are and how grateful we on this stand are for you. I am trying to be voice for the very angels of heaven in thanking you for every good thing you have ever done, for every kind word you have ever said, for every sacrifice you have ever made in extending to someone—to anyone—the beauty and blessings of the gospel of Jesus Christ."

Whether is showing, feeling or receiving; the power of gratitude never ceases to amaze me. I remember during this talk I felt Elder Holland's immense love all of us and for our Savior. The line stood out to me the most was the following -

"Too often I have failed to express gratitude for the faith and goodness of such people in my life.
"

There are many "such people" in my life that I have also "failed to express gratitude for" who they are and what they mean to me. The other day Garlan asked who the most influential people were in my life. As I thought about it - the list got longer and longer and I realized how incredibly lucky I've been to have had a life full of good friends and family who have loved and helped me grow.

As Elder Holland did in Conference, I'd like to express my love and gratitude for all those influential people in my life. To my parents who have loved me unconditionally and who have taught me to follow Christ. To my siblings who each have their personal strengths that serve as an example to me. To my AMAZING husband who in the last seven months has taught me what true companionship and selfless love is- he is my better half. To my Grandparents who I love dearly for their endless encouragement and support. To Liz and Emily - they are more than cousins - they are my sisters who have been with me through thick and thin. To all my cousins, aunts, and uncles who have also been there for me with their love and examples. To my dear friends (you know who you are) who have helped me through the rough times and celebrated with me in the good times. To my new McCoy family who have welcomed me with open arms and lots of love, hugs and kisses. This list can go on and on. The point is - I'm grateful, so very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment