After a long, yet not too terrible 15 hour drive - we arrived in a surprisingly green and somewhat hilly Manhattan. Chelsea had tried to describe it before but it was still fun to with my own eyes. We helped unpack, run errands and chill at the pool. Then the real fun began!

Friday and Saturday we went on a little overnight trip to Kansas City to go to the zoo and see some church history sites. The zoo was fantastic! I find that I'm like a little kid on Christmas morning when I enter a zoo. I'm deathly afraid of so many animals there yet I get some kind of sick enjoyment in being close to them. Must be some kind of "face your fears" tactic.


The best part was when we were at the orangutans. There was a mommy, daddy and baby. The daddy sat on the other side doing his own thing but the mommy and baby came right up to us. The mom stuck her long fingers through the fence and flipped a piece of bark at us. She'd then purse her lips and stare at us. Garlan decided to play her game and toss a piece of bark back. She'd reach her fingers through the fence, pick it up and toss it back. This went of for about 10 minutes - all the meantime the little baby would do cute tricks on the fence next to her mom. We were entertained for a very long time!


Here we intruded in on prayer time. I'm pretty sure the two had fallen in love and were praying that their families would be okay with the match - Romeo & Juliet style!


After the zoo we did a little shopping and went to dinner at my favorite restaurant called The Yard House. Actually, Chelsea and I first discovered it when we were in Hawaii. I've loved it ever since! And now Garlan does too :)We got a little lost but eventually found our hotel that night. Actually we got a pretty sweet deal thanks to hotels.com.
Saturday we spent the day at church history sites. We started at Liberty Jail. While the Prophet Joseph Smith was here some of my favorite revelations were given (D&C 121, 122, and 123). There have been moments in my life when I pleaded with God to understand why I faced certain trials - the verses found in D&C 121:7-10 gave me so much comfort and peace. The Lord told Joseph:
7 "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a csmall moment;
8 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.
9 Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.
10 Thou art not yet as Job; thy friends do not contend against thee, neither charge thee with transgression, as they did Job."
The line that always stuck out to me is "if thou endure it well". To endure is one thing, but to endure it well is the higher law - it is how the Savior would and did endure. We both felt the Spirit testify to us that not only is Joseph Smith a Prophet of God but his time in Liberty Jail was a trial and that he endured it well.



After Liberty Jail we went down to the Independence Visitor Center and the RLDS Temple. It was a very interesting experience. It was definately a different feeling than what we felt at Liberty but their museum was really cool. They had a bunch of Joseph's stuff from Emma and her family.

This is the honeymoon suite - Pioneer Style!


This kitchen or the one back home???? I think I like my oven and stove better :)

Doesn't matter the what era we live in - boys will be boys!


The following were taken at the RLDS or Community of Christ Temple. Felt weird taking pictures inside their temple.





On the way home we hit up the Kansas City Market! I love markets :)





What a fun trip! I didn't realize how long your hair is , it's beautiful.
ReplyDeleteDave and I went those church sites too. Totally fun...we also went to that temple too..little weird
ReplyDelete