Thursday, October 2, 2014

I Love to See the Temple

I have felt impressed the last two days to share  the experience I had in the temple on Tuesday.  I hope I can find words that do it justice.

I only had a 2 hour window before I needed to get home so I decided to initiatories. As most of you know the Provo Temple is a very busy temple and you usually can expect a wait. I'll be honest, I don't always love waiting but when I saw all the women lined up on the benches ahead of me I was relieved. I wanted some time to sit, read and ponder. When I opened the Book of Mormon I didn't go to where I had left off, I felt like I should read Mosiah 1 & 2. I saw those chapters in a new light - the Spirit testified and I was humbled and edified. Here are a few things I feel impressed to share:

Lesson 1 - In Mosiah 1: 1-8 King Benjamin calls all his sons together to share his testimony and some teachings with them before he dies. He uses the word "remember" at least 4 times which stood out to me that these weren't things he was teaching for the very first time. He obviously taught his sons (and I assume daughters) these lessons over and over throughout their childhood and into adulthood. I don't want my children learning about the gospel or hearing my testimony for the first time right before I'm going to die. Garlan and I need to be teaching them so that the word "remember" applies to our family teachings towards the end of our lives. We have rarely held an official FHE because we think our girls are too young to learn and remember but the Spirit testified that they aren't and that G and I need to be much better at this in our home. Just the night before for FHE Garlan taught us about Samuel the Lamanite and the next morning Emma work up talking to me about the prophet and the bad guys trying to hurt his tummy. It was a humbling lesson that I needed to learn.

Lesson 2- Mosiah 2: 5 And it came to pass that when they came up to the temple, they pitched their tents round about, every man according to his family, consisting of his wife, and his sons, and his daughters, and their sons, and their daughters, from the eldest down to the youngest, every family being separate one from another.
 6 And they pitched their tents round about the temple, every man having his tent with the door thereof towards the temple, that thereby they might remain in their tents and hear the words which king Benjamin should speak unto them;
 7 For the multitude being so great that king Benjamin could not teach them all within the walls of the temple, therefore he caused a tower to be erected, that thereby his people might hear the words which he should speak unto them.
 8 And it came to pass that he began to speak to his people from the tower; and they could not all hear his words because of the greatness of the multitude; therefore he caused that the words which he spake should be written and sent forth among those that were not under the sound of his voice, that they might also receive his words.
 9 And these are the words which he spake and caused to be written, saying: My brethren, all ye that have assembled yourselves together, you that can hear my words which I shall speak unto you this day; for I have not commanded you to come up hither to trifle with the words which I shall speak, but that you should hearken unto me, and open your ears that ye may hear, and your hearts that ye may understand, and your minds that the mysteries of God may be unfolded to your view.

These verses stood out to me in a different way than before with conference just a few days away. One of the reasons I went to the temple Tuesday was specifically to prepare myself for General Conference. I found it important that when Mosiah set up this "conference" for King Benjamin - people gathered from all over to hear the prophet speak. When they gathered they pitched their tents (or homes) to face the Temple. I reflected on my home and if we figuratively have our doors constantly facing the temple. I've made myself a personal list that will hopefully help me create a home that constantly invites the Spirit so that we can feel the peace and love also found in the House of the Lord. I won't bore you with that list but I challenge each of you to make your own!

In verse 8 I love that even in ancient times they wrote down the words of the prophet to share with those who missed out on the actual speaking event. I know it isn't always possible to hear every talk in conference or catch every devotional but I am grateful for the Ensign magazine and for online resources that publish all the words from our prophet. We have let our Ensign subscription lapse because we usually read in on our phones but I notice when it's physically in my home I read it more consistently. Garlan and I decided it's time to renew the subscription as well as the Friend (to help us with FHE lessons).

Verse 9 really jumped out and I felt like I could hear Pres Monson's voice in my head say these exact words. Conference isn't a time that the brethren get together to have some fun or to beat around the bush - verse 9 is exactly why we are asked to gather twice a year with our tents (homes/tvs) pointed to the temple so that we can listened to the prophet on his tower (conference center) speak to us. I am prayer for ears that my hear and a heart that may understand and a mind that the mysteries of God may be unfolded to my view. I also challenge each of you to take a few moments to pray for these same things so that we may all be edified and strengthened and that prayers may be answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment